Josh Holden is a marketing and digital media professional with a passion for new technologies that advance the way we interact with information and the communities around us.
He has managed the email team at Walgreens, responsible for delivering billions of emails annually.
Josh has worked extensively with Fortune 500 brands including American Express, Samsung Electronics and Walgreens as well as advised local businesses across the east coast and mid-west.
He’s also a founder of Holden Media, a family organization creating digital experiences enriching the Holden Beach, NC community. He previously founded TapTrend, a digital marketing agency that helped organizations communicate in new, exciting ways. You can follow Josh on Twitter, Linkedin, and Instagram.
- Managed the Walgreens email marketing team, delivering billions of emails annually across seven business categories/brands
- Launched and scaled Walgreens digital coupon operations into new channels (Mobile App, Foursquare, and Google Wallet)
- Directed agency-side strategy and execution for Sears Shop Your Way Rewards® social and email programs
- Managed $2MM+ in agency-side digital marketing projects for American Express and Samsung Electronics consisting of web, social, and mobile platforms
Walgreens Co. (Chicago, IL) 09/11-present
Sr Manager, (06/15-Presentd)
Email Marketing & CRM Group
- Managing internal team and vendor partner resources (Experian, ReturnPath & MovableInk) for Walgreens promotional and transactional email programs.
- Coordinating email production process from design consulting, scheduling, development, quality-control, deployment, and analysis support.
- Transitioned email development from offshore to in-house resources and standardized new Responsive 2.0 / 2-in-one framework.
Sr Consultant, (12/12-06/15)
Email Marketing & CRM Group
- Lead email marketing strategy, production and reporting for Pharmacy/Health, Clinic, Mobile and Balance Rewards business units.
- Championed Walgreens responsive email design through developing prototype and launch.
- Supported complex subscriber data migration projects via 3rd party and internal databases.
- Consolidated and analyzed weekly email campaign performance data using Experian/Cheetahmail and Omniture reporting tools.
Manifest Digital (Chicago, IL) 02/11-08/11
Sr. Account Manager
Client: Sears Holdings Corp., Various
- Directed account strategy and execution for Shop Your Way Rewards® customer loyalty program.
- Managed design of loyalty program lifecycle emails and Facebook application design & development.
- Developed and managed web, social, and content strategies for national IMAX cinema client. Work included design, implementation and CMS training.
- Managed iPad-optimized site development project for global pharmaceutical client to assist field representatives. Product resulted in measurable improvement in doctor-engagement KPIs.
Digitas Inc (New York, NY) 10/07-02/09, 11/09-05/10
Sr. Associate, Project Management
Client: Samsung / Samsung Mobile
- Scoped and managed $500k+ Samsung Mobile brand platform development using web and social media channels (Facebook, Twitter). Platform included brand assessment, strategy, creative ideations, “ThriveOn” social rewards Facebook application, Banner Ads, and platform management, maintenance, and measurement.
- Scoped and managed $500k-$2Mil+ product campaigns for 650 & 750 Series Flat Panel Televisions, the “Guggenheim” Refrigerator, the “X” Series Notebook PC, “The Red Thread: Samsung Celebrates Valentino Garavani,” and Samsung.com. Project types included web, online advertising, and multimedia (2D & 3D).
- Gained experience scoping and managing complex campaign platforms with global agency reviews (Leo Burnett, Starcom MediaVest, Condé Nast).
Client: American Express
- Scoped and managed $100k+ digital promotion of Alicia Keys’ Worlds AIDS Day Concert sponsored by American Express and live-streamed worldwide in partnership with YouTube. Included creative development and production of YouTube in-video ad units, rich media banners, and video pre/post roll content.
- Became capability expert in YouTube production specs and best practices. Advised other agency teams.
- Gained experience managing outsourced production teams located in San Jose, Costa Rica.
TapTrend LLC (Chicago, IL) 03/09-present
Executive Producer, Founder
Client: Triad Interactive Media Inc. (06/09-12/15)
- Managed $750k product development for Math Monster Mystery: A Formative Assessment Game for Fourth-Grade Mathematics. Coordinating east and west coast creative and production resources in developing game design, narrative, art, and prototype builds through an agile development structure. Negotiated employee and contractor documents and term agreements.
- Developed game-level wireframes and teacher back-end dashboard
- Gained Experience managing interactive game user interaction design, graphic design, and production
- Developing and managing web, social, and mobile marketing campaigns including corporate rebranding, execution, and ongoing social/community management projects.
- Responsible for acquiring new business, defining business requirements, designing wireframes, and managing production. Member of Apple® iOS Developer Program.
- Gained experience starting a company, pitching new business, and managing independent projects.
Town of Holden Beach Community Enrichment (Holden Beach, NC) ongoing
- Organized & hosted first retreat-style Startup Weekend, a national event for developing entrepreneurs.
- Created web and social platforms for community news, discussions, and media distribution.
Guilford College (Greensboro, NC) 2003
B.S. Business Management, Concentrations in communication & information technology. Award-winning leadership scholar.
Download Résumé (PDF)
StrengthsFinder is an online talent assessment tool developed by The Gallup Organization in conjunction with the management book “Now, Discover Your Strengths.”
- Maximizer– People strong in the Maximizer theme focus on strengths as a way to stimulate personal and group excellence. They seek to transform something strong into something superb.
- Input– People strong in the Input theme have a craving to know more. Often they like to collect and archive all kinds of information.
- Woo– People strong in the Woo theme love the challenge of meeting new people and winning them over. They derive satisfaction from breaking the ice and making a connection with another person.
- Futuristic– People strong in the Futuristic theme are inspired by the future and what could be. They inspire others with their visions of the future.
- Communication– People strong in the Communication theme generally find it easy to put their thoughts into words. They are good conversationalists and presenters.